Thursday, January 26, 2012

TMT 2012 #4


1. How do you search for and choose a trainer? 

How do you define "trainer"? If a trainer is someone that you hire to train your animal for a specified time and then show it or assist you in showing it - I don't have one. If you define "trainer" as a professional that assists you in your training of your own animal - then I have several. I watch several open handlers and then grill them and ask them how I can improve. I go to their places and work with them. It works for me and my program.

2. The dog world is small and ...uh... talkative. How do handle situations where there is talking that is not beneficial. 

I walk away - that's life - people are always going to "talk" about things - and I choose to only participate in productive conversations that help me and others become better handlers.

3. Do you believe that a person's personal life should influence your choice of a trainer? 

If a person participates in an activity which affects their ability to assist me then I probably wouldn't ask them for assistance.

4.  When you have a breakthrough moment with your dog, do you feel that moment makes your connection with that dog stronger and the next step in training easier? 

You bet! Working Border Collies (any animal really) is about a relationship that grows each time you are together where both of you are learning to make each other the best you can be!

5. Do you stick with one trainer, or do you go to multiple sources for help? 

Answered in question #1.

Have a Great Week!!!!

1 comment:

Laura Carson said...

Yep, we meant the person who helps you with training your own dog. :)

These days mostly I go with the pump friends method. LOL